The village of Limenaria is situated at the south of Thassos, with a
population of 2450 people. The first who came here, in 1904, settled in a
place called “ Vathilimenari ”, prompted by the opportunity of working in the
mine which had under control since 1904 the German businessman F. Speidel.
The inhabitants; of
“Kastro” in order to work in the mine and the other related jobs, came down to
the sea, hoping to a better life. So did the refuges from Minor Asia, who came
in the village in 1922.
Still, this was not
the first settlement in the place. According to the Drive; of the French
archaeological school, the ancient “Dimitrio” is situated in the place where
Limenaria is today, whereas, recent archaeological researches conducted by the
18th archaeological committee ; have shown that this place was inhabited
since the neolithical ; years.