ΠΟΛΙΤΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΛΙΜΕΝΑΡΙΩΝ
“ΤΟ ΚΑΣΤΡΟ”
Loading...    Please wait.

Palati

The building  which is called “palati” (the palace), is situated on the top of “Vathilimenari”. It was built between 1903-1905, by the German businessman F. Speidel, and became not only his residence,  but also the Headquarters (Administration Building-Center);; of his mine activities.

Loading...
Please wait.

Loading...
Please wait.

Loading...
Please wait.

 


Thassos’ Mythology
 

According to mythology, Thassos was discovered due to one of the many love affairs of Jupiter (Zeus, Jove). Transformed into Taurus, he stole Europe, the daughter of the King of Finiki, Aginora. The King asked his sons Finika, Kilika, Kadmo, and his grandson Thasso, to search for her and find her, otherwise never to come back.

While Jupiter and Europe were enjoying their love in Diktaio Andro of Crete, Aginora’s sons were searching all around the world to find her. That is how Thassos came to the island. He was fascinated by the excellent climate  and the rich plantation, and since he could not go back without Europe, he stopped searching for her, and settle down to the island with his escorts. Since that moment the island is called  Thassos. 

Irodotos, the great ancient historian, verifies this story beyond any doubt (iii Erato vi. 46). But there are some ancient poets who give to the island other names as well, such as “Aerii” or “ierii” because of its clean air and its cool summer breeze. It is also called “Aithria” for its deep blue sky, and  “Hrisii” for the shine of its gold that came out from the bottom of the earth.